Monday, July 30, 2012

the time i won an EMMY...

It was a normal Saturday evening and I had enjoyed a cocktail at the dog park when my phone made the annoying ding meaning I had a work email. Naturally I checked it and the subject line read "we've been nominated for an EMMY".

Naturally I ordered a glass of champagne and read the email.
Nominated for excellence in graphic arts and animation - and my name was on it. Nevermind the fact that I can barely draw a stick figure, that my animation skills involve a stack of paper that you flip through, that my degree is in an aquatic related field or that I have had nothing to do with television - a project I produced was up for an EMMY!!!!
The next day we ordered plaques that said we were nominated - our lead project man had little faith that we could win, always saying "if we win" in rebuttal to my "when we win!" so the plaque seemed like a good consolation prize, just in case.
A week later we had gowns, dates and a table for the event. We arrived early for the champagne reception and soon found our table - in the back of the room. My "when we win" mantra started to fade, but I was at the EMMYs so I got over it and enjoyed the evening.
Then the wine service was cut off...
The nice part about being in the back of the room was that the bar was directly outside our table so we loaded up on vodkas and laughed our way through 23 pages of awards. Suddenly we were at our award, queue the nerves!  We all took a large sip of vodka and that is about all I remember because next thing I know – THEY ARE ANNOUNCING OUR NAMES!!!

The walk from the back of the room to the stage was the longest walk ever.  I fought the urge to twirl and realized half way to the stage I had no speech prepared.  I don’t remember what I said, they handed me that gold statuette and the EMMY winner in me took over, I like to believe that I was a natural on that stage.

My date welcomed me off the stage with a celebratory cocktail, we had photos taken, we laughed, we giggled and we let all the other EMMY winners around us know that we had won.
Celebrating is one of my favorite things so now I find something to celebrate every day with EMMY.  She enjoys cocktails by the pool, road trips, being the center of attention and, naturally, being in photos.
I have since decided that EMMY needs a boyfriend named OSCAR…

No comments:

Post a Comment